BHS Higher Education Society now in its seventy fourth year, provides an ideal learning environment for the students development. The programmes in its various institutions are designed to be responsive to the present and future needs of individuals and organizations. The curriculum integrates traditional higher education with innovative concepts to equip the students to meet the ever changing needs of a complex society and diverse community.The mission of BHS Higher Education Society is to achieve Excellence in EDUCATION with the philosophy that EDUCATION is a prime contributor to the development of self, society and the diverse human enterprise.
In this MISSION, the management of BHS Higher Education Society seeks the co-operation and patronage of the public in general and the student community in particular.The society welcomes suggestions and constructive ideas from individuals and the community at all times for improvement.
THE BHS Managing Committee was established in 1942 by a group of eminent educationists and philanthropists and was registered as a non-profit body dedicated to the cause of education Its first concern was to concentrate on programmes essential for educating young boys and girls in Bangalore. Thus, Secondary and Pre-University course which form the basic foundation for employment and career opportunities were given prominence in the beginning. In 1942, the first step was taken by establishing the Bangalore High School in a rented building at Visveswarapuram, Bangalore. Under the stewardship of its President-Late Rao Bahadur Professor B.Venkateshchar, Retired Director of the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, and the dedicated efforts of the Secretary Late Dharmaprakasha L.S. Venkaji Rao, a prominent businessman, the Managing Committee started the Vijaya College in 1945 in the same premises with the present Pre-University courses. During the next ten years, the college moved into its own building in Chamarajept, thanks to the generosity of His Holiness of Sri Sringeri Mutt. In the followingtwo decades (1955 – 75) the growing demands of cosmopolitan Bangalore ushered in many developments.
The BHS Higher Education Society set itself at work by an object oriented approach, the highlights of which are:
As a follow up, the society started the BHS First Grade College in Jayanagar form the Academic year 1989-90 offering Pre-University and Degree Courses in Science, (including Electronics, Computer Science, Micro Biology, Biotechnology, Genetics) Commerce, Management and Arts (Including Marketing, Journalism Communicative English and English Literature) A rural educational project was embarked upon in June 1990 with the starting of a High School at T.Narasipur, Mysore District. The Vijaya Academy For Information Technology was started offering Short term and Long term certificate courses.
A research team with eminent educationsits in teacher training has engaged itself in producing training and research materials especially geared towards teacher training. Its first publication, already released, has been widely acclaimed."Workshop and seminars are arranged regularly and hosted by the Society towards updating knowledge of the teaching community and improving teaching methods and syllabus in various subjects in schools and colleges.As a part of the diversification plan, Bangalore Institute of Legal Studies was established at Jayanagar in 1993 and is now housed in an Independent building in the Basavanagudi Campus.